Airlines

Published on March 24th, 2020 | by Mark Dwyer

0

Stobart Air to Cease International Flights as Parent goes into Administration

Stobart Air, operator of Aer Lingus Regional flights, will suspend all international flights next Saturday 28th March. The suspension, which will remain in effect until further notice, has come about due to an unprecedented drop in demand as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. The airline is already operating a reduced international timetable.

The Public Service Obligation (PSO) routes from Dublin to Kerry and Donegal will continue to operate. In a statement, Aer Lingus said that it had been informed by Stobart that it will cease some of its operations from Wednesday and that passengers would be contacted by the airline to advise them of their options. The company said that it expected temporary lay-offs would be required as a result of the measures.

Parent Company Enters Administration

In a further blow to the airline, its holding company Connect Airways, has entered into administration in the UK. Accountancy firm EY has been appointed as administrator and now controls Connect Airways who owns 49% of Stobart Air. The remaining 51% is owned by more than 400 of the airlines’ staff. The move into administration is linked to the collapse of FlyBe, which was also owned by Connect Airways. In a statement to the Irish Independent, EY said: “Alan Hudson, Joanne Robinson, Simon Edel and Lucy Winterborne of EY’s Restructuring team were appointed joint administrators of Connect Airways Limited on March 10, 2020,” it said.

“Owned by a consortium of companies, Connect is a holding company that was set up in January 2019 to assist with the acquisition of the airline Flybe. Connect has no day-to-day trading operations itself.”

Stobart Air said in a statement: “The administration of Connect Airways does not directly impact the operation of Stobart Air services.”

Connect Airways itself has a complex ownership structure involving UK Stobart Group, Virgin Travel Group and Cyrus Equity Partners. Eight ATR aircraft operated by Stobart Air are owned by subsidiary of Stobart Group, Propius.

Tags: , ,


About the Author

Mark Dwyer

Mark is an airline pilot flying the Boeing 737 for a major European airline. In addition he is also a Type Rating Instructor, Type Rating Examiner and Base Training Captain on the B737. Outside of commercial flying Mark enjoys flying light aircraft from the smallest 3 Axis microlights up to heavier singles. He is also an instructor and EASA Examiner on single engines and a UK CAA Examiner. He flies the Chipmunk for the Irish Historic Flight Foundation (IHFF). Mark became the Chairman of the National Microlight Association of Ireland (NMAI) in 2013 and has overseen a massive growth in the organisation. In this role he has worked at local and national levels. In 2015, Mark won ‘Upcoming Aviation Professional Award’ at the Aviation Industry Awards sponsored by the IAA. Mark launched this website back in 2002 while always managing the website, he has also been Editor and Deputy Editor of FlyingInIreland Magazine from 2005 to 2015.



Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑
  • Next 3 Events

  • Sign Up to the FII Newsletter

  • Our Supporters

  • Donate

    If you enjoy reading www.flyinginireland.com, please consider donating to help keep this website online.
  • Facebook Feed

    This message is only visible to admins.

    Problem displaying Facebook posts.
    Click to show error

    Error: No posts available for this Facebook ID
  • Recent Posts

  • Facebook Fans