Published on September 30th, 2017 | by Mark Dwyer0
Notification of Air Corps Low Level Training
Notification of Air Corps Low Level Training, Wicklow Mountains
- The Air Corps is required to conduct Operational Low Flying in order to deliver the State its aviation capabilities across the spectrum of operations. To this end, the Air Corps Flying Training School will conduct Low Flying Training with PC9M aircraft in a prescribed area of the Wicklow Mountains, hereafter referred to as the Wicklow Low Flying Training Area (LFTA).
- This activity will be notified to the civil aviation community through publication of a Navigation Warning on the day of activity. This Navigation Warning will be viewable in the IAA Pilot Information Bulletin (i.e. NOTAMs), which is published four times per day.
- The LFTA is located within Class G airspace, within a 9 NM radius from Mullaghcleevaun Mountain (N53˚06”10’ W006˚24”24’). It is NOT an area of segregated or restricted airspace. Please see map below for further details. These details will also be published in the National AIP presently.
- Within the LFTA, there are two low flying routes, Falcon & Eagle. PC9 aircraft will usually fly a clockwise route at 500ft AGL, commencing at Area Falcon and into Area Eagle before terminating over the Blessington Lakes. This will then be repeated at 250ft AGL. A single PC9 will conduct Low Level training at a time. The aircraft may or may not in communication with ATC, depending on terrain.
- Individuals or organisations who intend to conduct flying activities (e.g. aeroplane or helicopter flight, fixed-wing/hang/para-gliding, balloon flying, parachuting, kite flying, drone flying etc.) in the Wicklow Mountains area are advised to check the PIB before flight in order to ascertain whether Military Low Flying training is planned.
- Aircrews wishing to operate in the area during published hours of Low Flying are advised to contact Military Radar on frequency 122.0MHz for flight information.
- Further information is available from Air Corps Operations:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 01-4037502