The following reports have been taken from the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) Website, click on the photo to view the full official report on the AAIU web site. Where the is no photograph the report can be accessed by clicking on the icon. The extracts below only contain the AAIU synopsis to each incident / accident
Records 481 to 482 of 482

G-OBMD, Boeing 737-33A, British Midland

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-01-18

Report No: 1998-002, Published: 1998-02-20

Image by: Frank Schaefer

As G-OBMD commenced passenger disembarkation at Stand 33 the ground maintenance engineer said that he noticed smoke coming from the point where the ground power lead connects to the aircraft. This was followed by a number of flashes (of flame). He immediately went to alert the aircraft Captain and staff. Cabin Crew No. 1 used her own initiative and ordered an evacuation as she understood that it was a serious fire. In addition to using the forward exit onto the airbridge some passengers exited via the overwing emergency doors and down the chute at the rear passenger door also. The evacuation was completed quickly and without incident. The ground power lead at Stand 33, which is fixed in a ground power pit, was removed for examination. It was found that one of the two fixing bolts connected through the ground power plug had shorted across 2 phases (A & B phases), apparently as a result of damage caused by a vehicle driving over the plug while it lay on the ramp. This is not an uncommon occurrence. The short caused severe arcing in the plug when it was connected to the aircraft and switched on. It was this occurrence that was witnessed by the ground maintenance engineer.

G-AYIM, HS 748-2A, Emerald Airways

Incident/Accident Date: 1996-07-06

Report No: 1998-001, Published: 1998-02-13

Image by: OWL

The accident was notified to the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) by Dublin Air Traffic Control at 0110 hours on the 6 July 1996. An AAIU Inspector arrived on scene at 0200 hours on the same day. The aircraft, which was on a scheduled cargo flight from Liverpool, landed on Runway 28 at Dublin Airport at 0100 hours and taxied to Stand 55 on the South Apron. Having brought the aircraft to a stop, the cockpit crew commenced their shutdown drills, which included a 30 second temperature stabilisation with engines at idling speed. During this time the marshaller approached from in front of the aircraft and chocked the nose wheel. Having chocked this wheel, a witness observed the marshaller walking backwards in an arc, giving a thumbs-up to the cockpit as he did so. Seconds later, the marshaller came in contact with the idling port propeller and received fatal injuries to his head. None of the witnesses present observed the actual propeller strike to the marshaller.
Records 481 to 482 of 482